Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Gypsy's Need Culture, too.


May 5th, Cinco de Mayo, Kentucky Derby, Full Moon (in Scorpio no less!), Super Moon, and my Mama’s Birthday!  What could be better?! 


This Gypsy girl headed to the Philadelphia Museum of Art with Mom and Aunt for a fun filled day of culture.  What?  Even Gypsy’s need some culture!  Now, I am sure most of you know this fab museum, but probably from the movie Rocky.  We all have a dream of running up the steps out front, but how many of us actually want to go inside?  Well, there are three floors and over 2000 years of creativity busting at the seams.  From Modern and Contemporary Art to Asian Art to early and recent European Art; there is definitely something here for everyone. 



While I am not one to stand around and read all the plaques, I am fueled by the beauty of the art; it nudges my creativity so to speak.  If I see something I like, I tend to linger a bit longer, maybe even read the plaque.  Many of you might not have known, but I dig Asian Art.  My first stop was to the top floor to absorb the tranquility of the Japanese Teahouse.





After meandering around a bit, I headed down the Grand Staircase and out the front door to conquer the steps.  Actually, I went out to take some pictures of the skyline and the steps… It was quite a dreary morning and the clouds were hugging the tops of the buildings downtown; a pretty neat sight. 




 After a day full of culture, we headed out to celebrate Mom’s birthday and the Kentucky Derby.  Here is where gut instinct comes into play.  If you have one, go with it.  My first initial pick for the Derby was I’ll Have Another, but instead after spending the day getting cultured, I went with Creative Cause.  Had I gone with my gut instinct, I would have been $7.00 richer!  Oh well, I had another… mint julep and Corona, it is after all Cinco de Mayo, too... and it didn’t seem to matter as much.  Besides, no one could see me crying anyway under my giant hat!





Make A Wish!












So, the moral of today’s story… Don’t be afraid of culture and go with your gut!



Interesting May 5th facts:
  • The first Three Stooges short, Woman Haters, is released – 1934
  • The government of South Africa declares Afrikaans an official language – 1925
  • Mary Kies becomes the first woman awarded a U.S. patent, for a technique of weaving straw with silk and thread - 1809

No comments:

Post a Comment